Regulations and conditions for participation
for the Gustav Mahler Academy 2015
- String players who want to apply the Gustav Mahler Academy 2015 must be born between July 22, 1988 and July 21, 1997. Wind players and percussionists must be born between July 22, 1987 and July 21, 1997.
- The Mahler Academy 2015 is open for students of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, double-bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, timpani.
- During selection phase, priority of admission is given to members of the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester. In case of free places, other high qualified European musicians can be admitted to the master classes. Admitted strings will be divided into two groups and could have different study periods in Bolzano, according to the Mahler Foundation office. Participants must not have a permanent work as orchestra member or music professor.
- Each applicant - GMJO members included - must send his/her curriculum vitae in English or German.
- Each applicant - GMJO members and previous Academy participants included - must send a short video (max. 5 minutes) of them playing one of the pieces on the list below. A video made with a smartphone and without piano accompaniment would suffice. Please send your video via email, Youtube, Dropbox or similar format. The Foundation office will handle these videos confidentially and they help the Artistic director in putting together the chamber music groups.
Please send the video or the concerning link to: email@example.com
The repertoire for the video recording is the following:
Violin: one of Mozart Concerts (free choice);
Viola: Hoffmeister, Concert in D or Stamitz, Concert in D or Mozart, Concert K 622 (version for viola);
Cello: Haydn, Concert no. 1 in C or No. 2 in D;
Double-bass: Dittersdorf, concert No. 2 or Vanhal, Concert in D;
Flute: one of Mozart Concerts (free choice);
Oboe: Mozart, Concert K 314;
Clarinet: Mozart, Concert K 622;
Bassoon: Mozart, Concert K 191;
Horn: one of Mozart Concerts (free choice);
Trumpet: Haydn, Concert in E flat;
Bass-Trombone: bach, Sarabande from Suite No. 5; Bozza, New Orleans or Sachse, Concertino or Lebedev Concerto.
Tenor-Trombone: David,Tomasi or Martin concertos.
Timpani: Mozart, Ouverture from "The magic flute".
IMPORTANT: the video file must be available until May 15, 2015. In any case it is suggested to send the application form and the video in the same day.
- Participants of the Academy 2015 will be selected by the Artistic director at his incontestable discretion. Applicants will be notified by e-mail by May 18, 2015.
- Online registration for the master classes entails sending the correctly completed registration form, the privacy law form and the authorization form for use of images and for audio/video recording, to the office of the Foundation exclusively through our website under the menu item "Registation".
It is mandatory to attach a copy of a valid ID or passport to the application form.
- Deadline for registration is May 11, 2015.
- Only the application with all requested documents attached shall be considered valid.
- All selected musicians will receive an e-mail with a formal invitation within May 18, 2015. All admitted applicants must send a confirmation within May 26, 2015 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In case that an applicant fails to confirm, his invitation will be revoked and passed on to the next applicant on the waiting list, in the order determined by the Artistic director.
IMPORTANT: GMJO effective members, who gain admittance to Mahler Academy, cannot cancel their participation in GMJO Summer Tour 2015, otherwise their invitation to the masterclass will be revoked.
- For the duration of the Academy participants will be accommodated at the expense of the Gustav Mahler Foundation in double/triple rooms in a hotel in the city center. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will pay for their meals at a student cafeteria or they will receive meal-vouchers to be used in local restaurants that have an arrangement with Mahler Foundation.
- Travel costs are at the expense of each participant. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will reimburse each cello/double bass player up to a maximum of Eur 150,- only in case they need to buy an extra-ticket for the instrument. These reimbursements will be paid by bank transfer only and only upon receiving the original travel documents by postal service (either the passenger ticket or the extra-ticket for the instrument). Taxi fees and costs for arriving by car cannot be reimbursed (only public transport).
- Participants who are residents of the city of Bolzano will not be eligible for reimbursement of room and board expenses.
- Participants who reside in Alto Adige/Südtirol will be reimbursed for room and board expenses only if their home is more than 50 Km removed from the courses location.
- A fluent knowledge of German or English is a prerequisite for participating the Mahler Academy.
- It is mandatory to attend classes and lessons during the Academy. The schedule will be available 10 days prior to the start of the master classes.
- Once the invitations are confirmed all music will be sent by email.
- Double-bass players will preferably bring their own instruments. Should they require the Gustav Mahler Foundation to provide an instrument, please send a specific request after admission been confirmed. Within one week after receiving the letter of invitation the applicant will have to transfer a deposit of Euro 100,- into the bank account of the Gustav Mahler Foundation.
(Bank details: IBAN IT 90 A 06045 11600 000000 450000, BIC CRBZIT2B090).
The deposit will be refunded at the end of the Academy should the instrument be returned free of any damage caused by the musician. Otherwise, the sum shall be withheld by way of partial compensation for damages.
- Participants must behave properly toward peers, teachers, staff and the Hotel personnel during their entire stay. If not, the Mahler Foundation office will immediately exclude them from the course and require them to pay for all costs of room and board themselves.
- The use of telephone, fax and copy-machine in the Academy office will only exceptionally be allowed.
- Items borrowed from the office must be returned undamaged. Participants are personally responsible for all borrowed items and for any damage to instruments that may occur.
- Access to the course rooms is only permitted during the scheduled hours. The schedule will be prepared by the Foundation office. Daily updates will be sent by e-mail to each participant and will be posted at the information board in the Hotel or at the office.
- The Gustav Mahler Foundation will insure non-EU citizens in case of accident or illness; EU citizens must be in possession of the European health insurance card, which entitles them to medical services in the Bolzano hospital.
- Costs of private doctor appointments or examinations by a specialist will not covered by the Gustav Mahler Foundation.
- The Gustav Mahler Foundation will not be responsible for the costs of transportation of sick persons, if these costs are not covered by health insurance.